The OVF Descriptor File could not be parsed

It is not ending at all – the series of problems using Cisco OVAs within my VMWare Workstation installation. After solving some minor issues I found out that VMWare got shipped with a pretty old OVF-tool. Hitting to the VMWare site and downloading the new one took me one stop closer.

The OVA can be directly converted to a VMWare Virtual Appliance by using ovftool.exe (located in the program directory of ovftool). It is pretty straight forward

ovftool.exe <location of the ova file> <location and name of the VMX file>

After that, the ovftool starts creating and converting any OVA to a VMWare Virtual Appliance. In the meantime you can read through the ovftool documentation – it is a very amazing tool at all.

The OVA Package Name does not match the OVF File inside it

Downloaded a OVA file and tried to import it into my VMWare Workstation and if something can go wrong – it does.

“the ova package name does not match the ovf file inside it” was the error message, after some searching I found out that a OVA is nothing else than a compressed tar file with another ending but includes the OVF and VHD files.

Using 7-zip to look into it I found the name of the OVF and renamed the OVA to the same name – voila – it works ­čÖé